Saturday, October 22, 2011

1. Mr Bean at Bukit Batok wet market

- Mee Jiang Kueh Peanut
3/5
Peanut filling was little meagre and tasted very weak.
However, the pancake was thick, chewy and fragrant after popping it into the toaster.
I dunked this into sweetened oat milk and polished it off!

- Sesame pancake
2.5/5
Sesame filling was too little, and only the middle part was oozing with sesame paste goodness.
Well, I threw away the rather bland sides.

- Tau Huay
3/5
Not bad. I think its pretty run off the mill, but it was smooth and thick anyway.
Slurped it up with sweetened oat milk.

2. Tiong Bahru Lor Mee
2/5
I don't even think this deserves 2 stars, for my taste buds.
Maybe I'm just not a Lor Mee person, but the sauce was too starchy.
The noodles reeked of yellow mee smell and cheap fish cake was used.
The char siew, I suspect, is run of the mill too. But it tasted pretty decent so I took a few bites.
The first mouthful was with some chilli was alright.
But as it went on I was puzzled by the long queues this stall always has.
The noodles were tangled as well, and the slippery starchy sauce made it slip right off my chopsticks.
As I picked the whole bunch of noodles up, I was slightly horrified by the thick starchy sauce that clung onto the strands relentlessly.
Given that even my bestfriend's foodie parents love this stall, maybe it's just me.
Sorry, Tiong Bahru Lor Mee, you couldn't make me a convert.
The prospect of slurping thick, yellow noodles with gooey brown sauce simply puts me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment