Monday, October 24, 2011

Bak Chor Mee @ Bukit Batok Village

I wanted to try out the lontong that my mum recommended at clementi but then I couldn't seem to find it so I gave up and decided to go and fast till dinner.
Mummy would be cooking rice cakes with chicken claws soup, so I thought maybe I could conserve my calories till then.
But on the way home I decided to stop by the Bukit Batok CC since I've heard about the good hor fun and bah chok mee there.
And, turns out that there are less than half a dozen stalls at Bukit Batok Village Eating House, and half of them were closed.
I've never really stopped by here for lunch before, because it was never really popular or recommended, and have I ever mentioned that there are 4 foodcourts nearer to my house? xD

Alright so this uncle decided to recommend me to try his delicious Bah Chok Mee, which I agreed to (:
And now, getting ready for the gastronomical review ;D

Boat Quay Teochew Minced Meat Noodles
7am to 2.30pm (early bird catches the worm!)
~$3
4/5
It's a steal.
It's my first time eating Bah Chok Mee because my family never was a fan of meat.
But this bowl was yummy.
Fresh mushrooms? Check.
Boiled mini wantons? Check.
Fresh, succulent pieces of pork? Check.
There were pieces of pork organs as well, soft, pinkish and tender.
My stomach was growling in anticipation.
I took a sip of the complimentary soup, which tasted like pork bone broth with a tinge of sweetness, probably with the the addition of sugar cane or lemongrass, something along those lines.
A perfect starter.
Mixing the noodles, I took a whiff of the noodles, hmm, a homely feeling.
Then I took a bite of the noodles.
QQ al-dente texture.
Usually I wince at eating yellow noodles but these did not reek at all and instead had that characteristic taste that suddenly transports me down memory lane.
You know, those days, when a bowl of fishball noodles at school only cost $0.50?
Slightly spicy with a hint of vinegar cutting through the lardy greasiness.
Not bad at all.
The pork slices were well-prepared with a bit of fat, which I love.
Some may detest fatty parts, but hey, you can't deny how good the fast tastes when you chew it with the lean parts!
Before I knew it I was savouring every bite, without worrying about my calories at all.
Man, that can wait first.
This is pure bliss, calories? screw off first.
When I came to the bottom of the bowl, there were scallions and every bite was even more fragrant and dellish than it was initially.
There was also more minced meat than I thought and I polised the entire greasy bowl of goodness which a generous spoonful of fragrant, fresh minced meat.
YUM <3

The only grapple I'll have about this place is that they seem a bit heavy handed with the oil.
But the uncle was so nice, he actually let me pay the next time because I forgot to bring enough money :/
Next time I go there, I'll be sure to tak pao his Bar Chok Mee again!

P.S.

Next time, try rice noodles, which is the kind that celiac-intolerant me can enjoy with less side effects xD
And ask for more chilli, a bit more vinegar and scallions to top this bowl of heaven off with a few more fluffy white clouds :D
U-M-A-M-I ;D

Till then
<3
herfairytail


No comments:

Post a Comment